About the Team
Match Report Round 1 Sunday April 15th
Our first game for the year and we welcomed our new team members for 2018 with Noah, Charlie, Jack and Xavier. All have been training well and exciting to see them in their first game for the under 10’s.
The ground was in good condition apart from the middle square but I could see some of our kids looking forward to getting a good dose of mud all over them. I think the award for best mud pasting goes to Will ☺
The ground was a bit wet and very different to what we had trained in the heat wave of the last two months so welcome to winter football for our first game. Callum was captain for the day and was in recognition of the great game that he had in the practice match with South.
Four on the bench and we had good numbers and welcome back recently both Sammy Fasso and Mossy.
Training this year has been a bit interrupted with the holidays but focus has been on quick hands, not going to ground, using our body. Wet conditions and wind meant kick long. We started the first quarter with the wind and held our own hitting the scoreboard. Ajax was well drilled, and their kids had a lot of run and energy for their first match as well.
As I ask each week, focus and effort. Our effort was there, and we contested well. We were caught out ball watching a few times and something we will focus on in training but all in all our kids worked hard. Into the wind for the second quarter was a bit challenging and found it hard to bring the ball up the ground but we defended well even though they scored a few goals. Well done to some of the kids in Ajax who displayed a lot of skill in tricky conditions.
Third and fourth quarters we battled on and again were competitive and fought the game out. The score probably didn’t reflect the good competitive game our kids had.
A few learning we take out from the game
- As we step up to under 10’s it becomes more competitive and a bit more physical
- We need to focus on where we position on the ground and how we position in each zone as the ball comes in
- The handball clearance was noticeable and a good reflection of what the kids learnt through training
- Leading and kicking to our spots went well
A couple of key mentions for the day
- Xavier had a great first game and received the hit dog award for his effort and clearance work. Great attack on the footy and we look forward to seeing him develop as the season progresses. Well done
- Charlie Bell for his contested work and received the 2nd hot dog award. Always gives a 100% and really attacked the big contested marks and took some nice grabs and very dependable when we are clearing the ball out of defence
- Charlie Dolan for his effort and some of the clearances he made. Well done Charlie and great to see.
- To Sammy J and Liam for reading the play so well and particularly the drop back and clearance work
- To Jonty, Will, Zac, Aryan, Cruz, Charlie Woods for real strong games and committed efforts.
- To Noah, Jack and Charlie Webster, all had good first games and loved the endevaour
All in all, a good week and lots of fun for the kids. We only have an hour at training, so we need to maximise this time, so we need to be switched on. I am usually there earlier by so for any kids that want to come early, all good
Just to reiterate I am big on respect from our kids. Respect for the coaches, their team mates, the umpire and opposition. This is part of playing for Port colts and an important part of how we recognise ourselves and are perceived as a team and we will follow on from the great level of respect our kids developed last year.
We have a great group of kids, fantastic parent support and really looking forward to 2018 and watching all of our kids develop at the level appropriate to their skills. Most important is that all our kids enjoy the experience of playing a team support and having fun with their mates whether form their school or different schools.